Edmonton Headshot Photographers
Planning what to wear for your headshot session can be stressful! Below are some great tips to keep in mind when you find yourself staring blankly at your closet. 😉
What to Wear – General Tips
– Wear clothes that are comfortable and make you feel like a million bucks!
– If you are booked in for ‘head and shoulders’ type portraits, you don’t have to worry about what to wear on your lower half.
– You don’t *have* to only wear black and white – contrary to popular belief.
– Wear something that really represents you and your unique brand, is appropriate for your profession.
– Bring a variety of different tops/colors if you’re unsure, as some tops can look great in person but not photograph very well.
– Bring a blazer, or equivalent, and another outfit that’s more casual.
– Make sure tops and jackets fit you well in the shoulders and arms. Over sized clothing will be obvious and make you look larger than you are!
– Clothes should be pressed and wrinkle-free, looking like new.
– Avoid large, bold, and busy patterns, especially blocky stripes. Your face should be the focus.
– Wear colors that compliment your skin tone and eye color.
What to Wear – Men
– ‘Standard’ business look is a suit jacket, dress shirt and tie, however, if your clients rarely see you in a tie and this isn’t comfortable for you then skip it!
– A great casual look is a jacket and shirt without a tie, or a dress shirt on it’s own.
– If you’re skipping a jacket, colored shirts ideally darker than your skin tone will look best.
– A polo shirt in good condition is a great option for a casual look, if it’s appropriate for your profession.
What to Wear – Women
– Tops that taper in at your natural waist photograph better than loosey goosey tops.
– Jackets and blouses with structure are more flattering
– Avoid sleeveless tops and dresses as they can draw more attention to your shoulders and arms rather than your face
– V necklines are most flattering as they elongate your neck and draw more attention to your face.
Keep in mind that there is always an exception to the rule and in the end, it is your headshot and you should feel excited about showing it off.
Does your headshot need updating? Looking for an Edmonton headshot photographer? Send an email today to book a session.